August 20, 2016

The Tale of the Swallowed Cat Toy

Christmas here!

Today I want to tell you all the tale of the swallowed cat toy. This happened a while ago...I think it was November, but it was somewhere around that time. Don't worry, I'm okay now!

My peeps had a family they've known for 87 years (exaggerated) over for the day after church. Because I was pretty new at the time, my mom supervised me well during the commotion to make sure I didn't lift my leg on someone's purse. BOL!

Anyway, it was minus 87 degrees outside (just kidding, it was probably about 30 degrees) so my mom decided it was too cold to take my angel sister Katie and I for a walk. I love my walkies, but I don't like the cold! So my mom and I ran around downstairs and she threw my favorite squeaky toy for me to bring back.

While running around, I decided to pick up the cats' purple mouse toy. It was the shape of an almond and it had a furry blue tail that reminds me of a skunk. My mom picked it out for the kitties the day before my humans brought the cats home over a year and a half ago. That was a whole nine months before I joined the family! Let me just say, I know I'm only allowed to chew doggy toys, and usually I wouldn't care about chewing or picking up anything else. However, that day I decided it would be a good idea to see what cat toys tasted like.

After picking up the cat toy, I swallowed it whole! My mom heard a gulping sound as I swallowed it. She began to panic. She couldn't tell at first what I swallowed, but she saw it was soft and purple. My mom began to panic. However, her parents assured her that it would be impossible for me to swallow a soft object whole like that. My mom wanted to take me to the vet, but her parents said it would be okay. After a few days, my mom noted I was acting fine so I would probably be okay.

I have a very sensitive stomach, so if a certain canned dog food doesn't agree with me I'll be sure to throw it up. I also puke sometimes in the car and right after I get out of the car. Also, before my mom got an interactive dog bowl for me, I ate my kibble so fast I barely even chewed it.

Fast forward a week later, and it's night time. My mom takes me outside to do my business for the last time of the day. She comes inside and let's me off my leash because she had to do something on the computer. Suddenly, I start gagging. After a moment, I puked. My mom cleaned it up like she usually does. The food wasn't chewed enough. I love to eat super fast! My mom picked up the puke with a few paper towels, and before she dumps it in the trash can, guess what she sees in the middle of my disgusting throw up? The mouse cat toy, which was still in perfect shape!

However, my mom still threw it away for obvious reasons (no cat wants a cat toy that was in a dog's stomach and vomit), and she was so glad I remained healthy throughout the week. She still tells the story of the swallowed cat toy to anyone who isn't too squeamish to listen!

Chris' Care Tip #6: If your dog swallows something serious he should not swallow, take him to the vet! Do not wait a week for him to puke up the object.

My angel sis Katie and I before a walk one day!


  1. Hari OM
    Good grief Christmas - that suggests that the cat toy was made of material safe for consumption - if not digestion!!! your tip at the end is a a wise one... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

  2. WOW Christmas, that must have been a bit scary for your Mom. But I am glad you puked it up!

    Great Tip #6 though, best to go to the vet!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

  3. I've been known to eat tiny pieces of my squeaky toys. Ghostwriter sometimes finds little colorful bits of squeaky toy fur in the poopies in the back yard. Once when I was a pup, I caught a baby grackle and then tried to swallow it head first while it was still alive! Ghostwriter had to pull it out from half way down my throat. I never did that again!

  4. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is a wonder you didn't squeak when you barked. There was something on the news recently about a child was playing with a party whistle or something similar. He had it in his mouth and was inhaling an all of a sudden the thing that makes the noise went down his throat. Everytime he breathed he whistled. Not sure how they got it out but it was lodged in his windpipe I guess. Thank goodness the cat toy did not get into your intestines.
    Hugs madi your bfff

  5. We are glad that all that happened was that you threw it up. we hope that taught you not to eat the cat's toys!

  6. Cat toys are just beggin' to be eaten. But we're so happy everything worked out okay!

  7. Oh Chris, I just heard abouts your Kitteh sib!!! Did you find him??!!! OMD, I am so worried, I gots my paws crossed real tight that you find your brudder, and he is okays, and he just was lookin' for some female kitteh company. {{hugs}}}
    Ruby ♥
    pees: BOL abouts the kitteh toy! ☺

  8. WE are sending our positive vibes for Cosmo!
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

  9. Oh Christmas - me an'mom just herd'bout Cosmo frum Madi over at POTP. I am sendin'out my Aroooooooooz over the windz so Cosmo can find hiz way home. Mom iz addin'her prayerz an'safe vibez fer Cosmo'z safety.
    Lady Shasta of Beaglebratz Manor


You don't need to lift your leg to leave a mark on my blog. Just leave a friendly comment! I read each and every one of them. If better suited, use the "contact" tab below my blog header to get in touch with me.